I've been contemplating starting a blog about all of my crazy wacky dating experiences for quite some time. This weekend, after an especially strange date, I decided it was time for me to share my experiences with the rest of the world. So, here I go!

About a year and a half ago I broke up with my boyfriend of many years. Here’s the story:

I was home for Winter break one year when my girls and I decided to go out to a club that catered to the 18 and up crowd. We were having a good time dancing and laughing at all the crazy pick-up lines when one of my friends had to run to the bathroom. I followed her -- being the overly motherly and concerned person that I am.

On my way there, a tall Habesha guy with ratty jeb-jeb braids, a big smile and large droopy-drunk looking eyes grabbed my arm. I can’t remember how the initial conversation went…but a few days later I was sitting across from him in a cozy corner of a run-down Ethiopian-restaurant dreamy eyed and already picking out our babies' names. . . LOL.

As the weeks went on, we became inseparable. I was falling intensely in love with a handsome, tall, educated, driven Habesha man who had endured much hardship and suffering in his life. He yearned to be loved and supported and I deeply yearned to limitlessly give this to him. He fulfilled my need to give.

Fast forward many years, I was a college graduate getting settled into my new career and growing tired of giving so much and receiving so little in the relationship I was in. After a lot of tension and huge blowout fights, I ended the relationship. Within a few days I packed my bags, rented a fabulous condo and started my new life as a SINGLE girl. And so began my journey navigating the fascinating world of dating. . .

-Ella

*Habesha:Eritrean/Ethiopian
*jeb-jeb: individual braids