Photography by: J.Create Styling: Style by Drew

DJ SPOONZ - Already highly recognized this young man plans on making much more noise!! Just beginning to come out, he's already a name amongst the veterans. In such a short period of time he's definitely been leaving a lasting impression on party goers and music lovers across the city of Toronto!

Follow The L was lucky enough to get a few moments in with DJ SPOONZ to do a quick interview that he gladly agreed to do (Thanks Spoonz!!). Such a sweetheart we wish him the best in all that he does and will continue to support him. Look forward to DJ SPOONZ spinning a Follow The L party!

continue reading for the interview...


We got right into you and DJ SPOONZ most definitely opened up willingly with this one! Ladies & Gentlemen Let's Get To Know DJ SPOONZ!

Follow The L: What’s on your playlist right now? 
DJ SPOONZ: Currently I’ve been listening to a lot soul-influence music and original material from the 70’s and 80’s era and some new soul as well. I am feeling the new Erykah Badu album, material from Marsha Ambrosius, Musiq Soulchild, Raheem Devaughn, Ne-yo…(I can go on and on about soul, I love it). Also bumping in the Ipod I’ve got a lot of Redcafe (especially “I’m Ill” produced by Toronto’s Boi1da), Fabolous, Jeezy (Trap or Die 2), Snoop, Fat Joe, Game. I’ve also been listening to a lot of Canadian content; artists like A-game, Luu Breeze, P.Reign, Theo3, Jonny Roxx, Tona, Rich Kidd, Saukrates, Drake, Show Stephens, Kim Davis, Andreena Mill. Our city is very talented and the music speaks for itself-I urge EVERYONE to check out some of these Canadian artists I just mentioned. My love for music has me listening to all types of genres and I’d be here typing forever. 

Follow The L: What/Who inspired you to be a dj? 
DJ SPOONZ: My mother was an early inspiration for me to start djing. As a child, my mother would have the speakers blasting as she cooked and cleaned around the house. She listened to Disco, Funk, R&B, Soca, Calypso pretty much anything with an up-tempo beat. That led me to take interest in music, which over the years had me playing instruments like the piano and steel pan. Another inspiration was from some of my closest friends. Our musical talents encouraged us to form a production group. That unfortunately didn’t go far, but inspired us to start a sound crew called Fusion 3. At the time I knew nothing about djing, but being young and loving music, it just inspired me to explore the world of djing. Djs are ambassadors of music and being a lover of music and getting exposed to djs through parties and radio it really inspired me to want to dj.

Follow The L: Facebook or Twitter? 
DJ SPOONZ: Twitter! I like the idea of getting your point across in less than 140 characters. Also, I get too much spam on Facebook, its really annoying.

Follow The L: What event (that you dj'd) is most memorable? Why? 
DJ SPOONZ: Good question, it’s really hard to say! I’ve been really blessed to dj some great events in the industry so early in my career.

Follow The L: What artist do you look forward to working with? 
DJ SPOONZ: Currently I’m working with Toronto hip-hop duo A-Game as their official dj. I’m really excited about the project they have coming soon. I think our city is very talented and we’re in a good position right at the moment. Working with any artist that promotes good music with the same passion that I have is always something to look forward to. 

Follow The L: Where/Who do you draw you're inspiration from?
DJ SPOONZ: There’s no single thing or person I get my inspiration from. Whether it’s family, friends, djs, art, book or of course MUSIC; I’m just inspired! Compliments are always good too.

Follow The L: Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? 
DJ SPOONZ: It’s hard to say because if you would’ve ask me that 3 years ago, it would not have been where I am now. I wouldn’t have seen it coming. In 5 years I’m hoping to establish a strong and recognizable brand for Dj Spoonz. Traveling worldwide and using it as an avenue to promote our music and help build our city. Of course all this will come if I stick to hard work and continued determination.